[AMRadio] Comment from N0JEF

Robert Nickels ranickel at comcast.net
Wed Feb 10 21:00:49 EST 2010

On 2/10/2010 6:02 PM, kj4djf at aol.com wrote:
>   I have a 200 watt AM transciever

What type of transceiver do you have?  I'm assuming from the above that
you probably have a modern all-mode HF transceiver that includes AM
capability.  The good news is, many of  them can be made to sound
terrific.  The bad news is, some are pretty fussy to get set up right,
and if the ratio of carrier to audio isn't correct, can really sound
awful - to the point that they are unintelligible to someone listening
on an AM receiver.   So, just as a suggestion, I'd make sure that your
radio is set to produce good quality AM first.   A local ham with AM
receive capability could help you out.    The amount of RF power shown
on the meter is not as high as you might expect, but even a good
sounding 25 to 50 watt AM signal will get you plenty of contacts.

73, Bob W9RAN