[AMRadio] Comment from N0JEF

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 08:54:24 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:49 PM,  <kj4djf at aol.com> wrote:

> I run a Kenwood TS-480HX.  (I can hear the groans from the boat anchor crowd) haha
>
> The 480hx  is a 200 watt radio with a 50 watt carrier on AM and shows 200 watts pep on an external watt meter while modulating.
>
> My name is Jeff.  I am in Clearwater Florida.  The email has my old call.  My vanity is N0JEF.

Welcome aboard, Jeff. There's a good group of AMers around your area
including Warren W1GUD who is a reporter for the Fox affiliate in
Tampa. Pretty sure he's a member of this list, so he may jump in. The
get together on the lower part of the 80m band on weekends IIRC.

As far as running a ricebox on AM, as the saying goes - ya run whatcha
brung. The days of the elitist radio snob in the AM community are
pretty much gone. As well, most of the new rigs sounds pretty good
right out of the box, even better than some of the old tube gear. Most
guys that I know are just happy to have another AMer join in
regardless of what you're using, so long as they can hear you.

And as someone said, on AM tune the rig for about 25% of its rated PEP
output, shut off your processor, and bring up your gain until the
needle kicks on peaks. Away you go.

73 -

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4