[AMRadio] Comment from N0JEF

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 12:37:38 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Todd, what kind of gear did the elitist radio snobs run?   What was
> approved of and sneered at?   Just curious.  I'm still pretty much
> running what I brung hi hi.

Tube gear, Rob. It was never a big group per say, and quite often is
was bolstered by newbies who thought they would fit in better if they
acted like station XYZ and talked smack about riceboxes. One
particular operator would chastise anyone who ran a D-104 on a BC
transmitter for example, saying that such a rig required a microphone
worthy of it, blah blah blah. The same mentality as the CW vs no code,
homebrew vs commercial gear arguments really. Some attempt to feel
superior to others.

Fortunately they were few in numbers on a good day, and pretty much
non-existent now. There are still a few that can be heard, but folks
have figured them out for the most part. I think the introduction of
the first Flex radio some years ago along with better Yaecomwood rigs
that sounded good out of the box really put and end to the nonsense.

You still find some remnants in the 'processed audio vs stock audio'
discussions, but much of the elitism is gone. Run whatcha brung,
process or stock, and have fun. The only real objective is to enjoy
and promote the good fun of Amplitude Modulation.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4