[AMRadio] 6146 modulators

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Mon Jan 11 00:35:02 EST 2010

  > I can't find any of my 1950's/1960's ARRL Handbooks to see if I can
find a
> schematic of a modulator using push-pull 6146's. If anyone has the above,
> please e-mail me off-list. Thanks!! I traded for a modulation transformer
> which was used with P-P 6146's.
>                                                            Joe W4AAB

Hi Joe
You can take the Apache and DX100 modulator circuit diagram, and replace
6CA7/EL34 and 1625, respectively, with 6146's, change the sockets, raise
the screen voltage, and it'll play fine. I tried them in my DX100, and
found conversion to EL34s was plenty good for that rig. Of course, as
someone mentioned, the Valiant had a pair.
73
John
K5PRO