[AMRadio] You must see this.

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 19:53:46 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Jim Wilhite <w5jo at brightok.net> wrote:
> I am aghast at this.  Wonder what this thing cost the user.  If you are
> wondering about the subject, it is an audio amplifier, tube type of
> course.  4-400s?  4-250s? and those rectifiers.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7qMVYf85sM&NR=1

Tens of thousands for commercial amps, Jim. I spoke with a fellow a
few years back who was big into this, he pointed me to a site showing
a 304TL mono amp selling for $70K or so. IIRC, they have a big show
every year in Vegas or somewhere.

There was a time when it bothered me a lot to see this kind of thing,
specifically when I was having trouble finding some 75TH spares for my
30K-5 which uses them as modulators. While search, I came across
several home built amps and one commercial unit using them. They were
never plentiful to start with.

Then it dawned on me that there are a lot of tubes being made today
like 6550s, 845s, and many others we wouldn't see otherwise - thanks
to the audio and guitar crowds. When you think about it, there are a
lot more of them than us. So if they start acarfing up 4-400s etc (the
ones in the video look like Amperex versions), perhaps it will benefit
us later.

I still don't think wooden knobs or an oxygen-free power cord are
going to help anything, but you have to expect the snake oil salesmen
with the rest.

Wonder what those rectifiers in the back are? They look to have
nickle-plated tops, or maybe it's just a reflection. The front tubes
look like 80s. Maybe there will be a run on mercury vapor tubes? Since
finding the Xenon replacements years back mine have been collecting
dust. Fingers crossed!

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4