[AMRadio] More on "Electromagnetic Allergies"

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sun Jan 17 12:00:21 EST 2010

It is indeed possible that some people have the ability to detect some
electromagnetic fields directly.   I recall a report I read in the
1970s that there are at least some who seem to have an ability to
demodulate AM signals and hear the audio - there was a patented design
last century that coupled amplitude modulated RF to a person's body and
the modulating audio could be "heard".  It was considered as a possible
hearing aid or no-headphones monitoring method.  But results were not
consistent and the field had to be strong and tightly-coupled to the
body.    I'm forgetting what it was called... the "Neurophone" maybe?
I don't think it is related to the ultrasonic thing being sold today
under that name:  http://www.neurophone.com/

As I recall, I don't think anyone who tried it reported anything
unpleasant or irritating.  Some didn't get it, some only heard
something after extended exposure, some heard the audio right away.

But it seems highly unlikely that the weak fields produced by Wi-Fi,
neighborhood cellphone sites, etc would produce a serious bodily
reaction.  We are constantly awash in electromagnetic fields from the
Sun, Earth, and the rest of the universe, as well as much stronger
local man-made noise and radio and TV signals - wouldn't someone
supposedly sensitive to weak fields like Wi-Fi and a neighborhood cell
site have been bothered by the much stronger sources much earlier and
to a greater degree?

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
Capital City Hamfest - Sat, Jan 23 - Madison, Wisconsin
http://www.wd8das.net/hamfest