[AMRadio] Electromagnetic allergies

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sun Jan 17 12:48:09 EST 2010

Its true that there are physiological phenomena that indicate some
effects from RF power exposure. In very controlled experiments with
rabbits, mice and other creatures, exposure to significant doses of EM
fields have caused things like audible clicks in hearing, and calcium
ions crossing cell barriers. And these are not necessarily thermally
caused, which is the normal effect of high RF (dielectric heating). It
may be that there are magnetic field effects, somehow coupling into
something in the body. It has been published that there are effects from
powerline fields that have affected bee/honey production under right of
ways. There is a lot of evidence that migrating birds have some sort of
compass-like response to the geomagnetic (static) fields. These two are
examples of weak-field effects, that have been observed and reported.

The study of exposure to RF, power frequency, and magnetic fields,like
chemical and radiation exposure studies, take years of rigorous
experiments, to rule out other secondary effects from things like light,
airborne material, natural radiation, personal bias in subjects, and on
and on. There were studies in Sweden years ago that indicated that
people in homes built near power lines or with particular wiring
configurations were prone to increased risk of cancer. That landmark
study excited a lot of people including realtors, hard-core
environmentalists, and what I would call anti-technologists. It also
made a big impact on the EM field research community. However, over time
it was never repeatable and is no-longer considered valid except in the
eyes of those who wanted that positive result. This is an example of a
bias towards a particular answer.

That said, however, the results of a study that identified 100% positive
results from weak RF fields, is likely not real science that can be
repeated. It has not been  scrutinized or published in any refereed
scientific journals or forums, like Nature, Science, AMA. I would be
curious to see and read of such experiments.

I heard recently that one state (Maine?) has a recommendation under
development on exposure to cellphones in nearfield. In certain European
countries, similar recommendations have been publicly made, focused on
children and weaker adults. These are not scientific results, but are
decisions based on prudent judgement, believing that there MAY BE
effects which are not yet known. This is not a bad thing for society to
do, considering the mistakes that have been made in past NOT making such
decisions, asbestos, radium, cigarettes, various chemical toxins, and so
on.

So while I wouldn't completely rule out that there is some weak-field
effect of RF exposure that we haven't discovered, it is so difficult to
prove without all the underlying other environmental factors. Personally
I tend to poo-poo the wackos and wierdos who claim that they get
migraines and cannot sleep in the house next door to someone with a
television or cellphone. And i do not attribute this to political
conviction such as some here have used, but strictly based on what I
know about the science and studies. I have been in high power RF work
for my entire career (>30yrs) and have paid attention to these things,
including reading and researching many of the reports and articles about
RF exposure. I do believe that 800 MHz-1.9 GHz watt-level cellphones
being held next to the brain, is not a smart thing for humans to do, and
that we have to somehow change that or we may indeed find long term
detrimental societal consequences. This is not a weak field effect, but
a near field hazard.

Arthur and Dr. Elke in Santa Fe are not what I consider to be examples
of normality. They are on the fringe. We have so many people that come
here from (guess where, Texas and California!), that we can now call it
the land of fruit and nuts instead of the 'city different'. Touche!

73
John
K5PRO