[AMRadio] MF-LF propogation

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Mon Jan 18 22:18:33 EST 2010

I just finished watching 2 hours of 24 and when it was over decided to
go to the shack to see if I could find anyone on 160 meters or 75.  I
was disappointed because I could not hear any AM signals at all so I
decided to tune around in the LF part of the band.

In past postings Don/K4KYV mentioned AM broadcast stations that are
located in the near East or Africa down there so I wanted to see if I
could hear anything from them.  Last year I could only hear their
carrier when I turned the BFO on and tuned around from ~160 to 200 Kc.
Tonight was a surprise as I could hear 3 stations very clearly here in
the mid-continent area of the US.

Don mentioned hearing them clearly in KY last year, but I never could
recover audio from them.  Tonight was different as their signals were
strong and not fading in the short term.  So I though I would tune the
Aircraft NDB band just to see what I could hear.  The heterodynes were
so strong on most of the frequencies that I could not identify any of
the CW IDs.  On a few of the frequencies I could hear individual
stations, but not many.

Boy do I wish we had a good allocation down there right now.  We (I) may
never see conditions like this again in the rest of my lifetime.  I was
using an Inverted L for 160 meters and my HRO 60 with the H and J coils.
There is really something to a lack of sunspots if you are willing to
experiment a bit.  Many of you have SS rigs that will tune down there
so, if you are interested, tune down there and see what is alive between
125 and 512 KC.

73

Jim/W5JO

Enjoying listening because I don't hear anyone on the air.