[AMRadio] More on "Electromagnetic Allergies"

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Tue Jan 19 11:06:37 EST 2010

Sometimes these lunatic fringe nutcases can be dangerous, especially if some
lawyer thinks he has stumbled across a deep pocket.

People have the right to sue anyone for anything, if they can find a lawyer
who will take the case.  I have the theoretical right to sue you because I
don't like the style of your tee-shirt. Unfortunately, I have heard of cases
where people ignored totally frivolous and insane lawsuits and ended up
losing the case by "default" and having a serious judgement placed against
them, which they were  legally obligated to pay, simply because they failed
to respond.  One such case was a paternity suit filed by a woman that the
defendant had never even heard of and who lived in another state, and the
defendant wasn't even aware of the suit because the only notice was placed
in an out-of-state newspaper.  She evidently found his name and address
somewhere and concocted a story that he was the father of her now adult
child.

The reason the code speed was reduced to 5 wpm before the FCC dropped it
altogether was that someone sued the FCC under the Americans
with Disabilities Act, claiming that their "disability" prevented them from
learning to copy code at 13 or 20 wpm.  The FCC resolved the case by
granting "waivers" to anyone who had a doctor's note attesting that they had
such a disability, and allowing them to pass General and Extra with only a
Novice code test.  Later, the FCC determined that a large number of the
waivers were fraudulent, since it was not difficult to find a medical
doctor, who might not have a clue what morse code is or how it is copied,
who would write a note.  So the FCC took care of the fraud problem by
granting a waiver to EVERYBODY.  They simply reduced the code requirement to
5 wpm for all classes.

Don, k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/