[AMRadio] OT : Paid Hams during Drills

WA5AM ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 16:41:54 EST 2010

Bob,

Don't forget these agencies you mentioned have their OWN communication
equipment, bought and paid for by the public via taxes.  That is why
volunteer hams have been used for decades to provide communication via ham
radio at or near these agencies.  Amateur radio has served the public VERY
well for decades in emergency communications, and has always been on a
volunteer basis.  Why does this need changing now??  Are hams allowed to
conduct drills on the police or fire bands?  Not that I'm aware of.

Why do the public service agencies need our ham frequencies now?

If we allow people to be paid money for operating ham radio, we are losing
the very threads the founding fathers of amateur radio and the ARRL stood
for.  What will be next?  Dollars for working contests?

During an actual emergency of life or death, anyone, including the Fire
Chief can operate ANY radio, ham or otherwise...

73
Brian

Brian Sherrod, PA
My website: "Arkansas Airwaves" - http://arkansasairwaves.net
Email : ars.w5ami at gmail.com

"The better I get to know some people, the more I find myself loving dogs."
---
of
the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to
anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender
by
reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not
consent to
Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of
my
firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.