[AMRadio] OT : Paid Hams during Drills

Neal Newman cozy659 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 16:55:21 EST 2010

wrong
 Even If a police officer is not on Duty. They are still On Call 24/7 and Hold Peace officer status. In most states they still Hold POLICE OFFICER Status 24/7..They can only act as Leaison between Amateur stations and  the communications of a civil Emergency. Even If they hold an amateur license. They cannot communicate as a ham  in a drill or Net They can Be at the control point, and advise the operators.
 My local police Department Built a New OEM. they got FEMA funding and Purchased alot of Amateur radio Gear , and installed it..
 However There is not One single police Officer that is a licensed Amateur to use it.
 During a tour of the facility I asked If there were any Hams in the PD or OEM to operate the Gear.
The Police chief and the Head of the PD Communications  Claim
I Quote." WE are Police Officers and Office Of emergency management, and In an Emergency. We dont need to Be licensed to use this equipment."

 This was 7 years ago. To this day there is still no hams in the PD or OEM
But they still insist they can use the gear during an Emergency.
 BTW  I own and Trustee the County OEM Repeaters  on 2,220,440 and 6 meters
They tried to Pull a simulated Emergency  drill One night on My 440 machine with HT's they gave out to Patrol officers.
 and wanted To Press Charges against me For interfering with their drill when I shut down the Repeater.
The County backed me up.
 Neal- KA2CAF/W2CJA