[AMRadio] OT : Paid Hams during Drills

Grant Youngman nq5t at tx.rr.com
Tue Jan 19 17:02:47 EST 2010

It's a two edged sword.

It's a ridiculous and counter-productive rule which prevents the Fire Chief, or police or Red Cross reps, or whomever, from participating in RACES/ARES nets.  And bona fide emergency use, when the AMATEUR COMMUNITY'S participation is essential  for the broadest possible emergency service delivery.

On the other hand, we don't really want the bands to become the Salvation Army's or Red Cross's or Fire Department's or whoever's  bands for anything that someone can vaguely justify as smacking equally vaguely as an "emergency", or for communications just between their own organizational elements when their "normal" services are not blacked out.  I suppose one could classify a lost donation pick up truck as an "emergency" situation (certainly for the driver), but certainly not for the use of 2M or any other band to get directions, just because that driver happens to carry a plastic radio on his belt.

"Pecuniary interest" is, once allowed without the most severe limitations (drills aside),  a slippery slope by definition.  There are plenty of other communications means and frequencies available to these agencies and organizations.

Grant/NQ5T