[AMRadio] OT : Paid Hams during Drills

John Coleman jc at pctechref.com
Tue Jan 19 17:13:26 EST 2010

Opps: Sorry Bob I did not mean to send that directly to you and only you.

Here it is again for all with a little more added:

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here!

OK, I think I see the dilemma now, I must say I have mixed emotions here.  I
see the necessity but I can also see where it could start a trend.

I'll need to mull this over a little.

I always thought that Hams who worked for anything like a law enforcement or
fire and rescue could do what was needed in the way of training to better
serve the public but I guess their hands were tied during working hours
unless they had a separate volunteer to push the microphone button for them.

Is this prevention currently enforced to prevent commercial use of amateur
radio? How does it?

I would assume that a policeman taking part in a drill, on police time,
would use his own call letters would not solicit for the police department.

I have been on the job many times driving around town doing my regular job
on a wage and have been known to use the repeaters and 40 years ago even
check into the old central gulf coast hurricane net once or twice.  When did
all that become against the law?

So part of me wonders if additional regulation is even necessary.  Where is
the law they might or I have been in the past breaking?

Still undecided
John