[AMRadio] OT : Paid Hams during Drills

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 18:06:42 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM, WA5AM <ars.w5ami at gmail.com> wrote:
> I work from home 5 days a week, and talk on the radio from time
> to time while sitting at my desk, but I don't do it to benefit my business.

And that is the key from my memory of the rules. The key being
'commercial/financial benefit'. My understanding is that you can
operate a radio while being paid, but can't be paid for using amateur
radio. I don't believe that applies to government entities due to
their non-profit status, gov't [supposedly] being of/by/for the people
and all.

I had first hand experience with this for over a decade while in the
employ of the gov't and also the state RACES director. Previous to
becoming an employee I was reimbursed for mileage and long distance
calls on behalf of the Office of Emergency Management and Homeland
Security. When I later joined the ranks of gov't workers I was made
the Qualified Rep of my agency which allowed my boss to lend me out to
VEM for drills or real emergencies during work hours without loss of
pay. I was never directly paid for using any radio and spent much of
my time in meetings and administrative roles, but see no conflict in
operating or coordinating radio comms since it was never for the
benefit of any commercial venture, only the taxpayers.

And yes - in the case of imminent threat to life and/or property,
anyone can pick up a mic and call for help. In fact, you'd probably be
held liable if you had training to do so and did not.

Sounds like a good time to re-read the rules.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4