[AMRadio] OT : Paid Hams during Drills

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 22:44:21 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Bry Carling <bcarling at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> I note that you said CAN rather than MAY (grin!)

Yep, I'm big on the more affirmative response, like not following xyz
rules for abc list can/will result in your removal. 'May' just sounds
too fickle.

I'd like to add too from my experience, that we *never* let any
unlicensed person, regardless of position in any department, use
amateur equipment or frequencies in any drills or incidents. There was
never a need for two reasons. First, as pointed out by Brian and
others - they have their own communications systems. Those systems
have some serious shortcomings (mainly limited frequencies in a large
scale event), which quite often resulted in a RACES member being
assigned to heads of vital agencies if for no other reason than to be
able to reach them immediately. So the second reason is - RACES always
provided the needed operators and equipment for other groups to
interact through both on the scene and back to HQ. We also coordinated
all of the amateur communications from other groups involved too
through the RACES program which included ARES, Red Cross, local clubs
etc. This kept a lid on problems of interference on scene.

Beyond an immediate threat to life or property, I cannot see any
reason to allow unlicensed individuals to operate amateur gear for pay
or otherwise. I do think they should clear up any gray areas about
licensed amateurs operating while on the clock vs for compensation if
such clarity is required. Beyond that, it sounds like another solution
looking for a problem.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4