[AMRadio] AM promo in QST

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 11:35:00 EST 2010

Here is what irritated me for the most part:

"In addition the carrier of an AM signal can make an annoying steady
tone in the receiver of a station that is listening to SSB in the next
channel. ...listen in SSB mode first to make sure that no one is using
SSB nearby before making a call using AM."

That torques me off for three or four reasons.  1.  It implies that
AMers must not "annoy" those operating SSB.  Oooh, we'd better tip toe
around the great exalted SSB stations.  2.  It ignores the fact that
most SSB ops now have auto-notch.  3.  What if the AMer only has an
old receiver like a SX28 and can't listen in SSB?  Yes, some guys out
there only have old recievers.  I guess they all are supposed to run
out and get a SSB rx so they can be considerate.  4.  What the heck is
a "channel?"  What is this now, CB?  (I am seeing more and more CB
type lingo creeping into ham radio but that's another issue.)  I
thought we were using frequencies.

73

Rob
K5UJ