[AMRadio] AM promo in QST

VJB wa3vjb at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 20 13:46:54 EST 2010

I would like to think Joel Hallas is the victim of a political Tourette's Syndrome that has infected the ARRL for many years.

The malady causes uncontrollable utterances against AM whenever someone inside the League tries to write or say something positive about our part of the hobby.

So here's Joel Hallas, apparently a sincere and active participant on AM with us (he has checked into the AWA Sunday afternoon gathering with a Valiant, if I may help establish his credentials), who uses his "Beginner's" column in the magazine to actually MENTION "AM" by the name of the mode !!!!

But with this particular strain of Tourette's in Newington, I believe it prompted him to swear and cuss that AM ought not to be on the air when more important modes and activities "need" the spectrum.

He doesn't mean it, I hope, and I've been asking him to re-consider how his wording came off poorly despite his good intentions.