[AMRadio] QRM fron Neighbor's Security System

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Thu Jan 21 19:51:20 EST 2010

Jim,

You reported the following.  "I have recorded a problem like this with an 8566B in peak mode.  There is a
continuous sweep from about 7.1mc to 8.5mc at a two to five second rate.
Traced it to a neighbor who just installed the X10 security and home control
system.  It's using the spread spectrum protocol and under 100mw but at 300
feet, makes 40 meters unusable.  Appears that the FCC has lost control to
dollars."

If I had a problem like that, I would discuss it with Ed Hare, W1RFI, the ARRL Laboratory Manager.  Ed is quite active in fighting RFI, especially that involved with BPL systems.  I am pretty sure that you do not have to just accept whatever QRM is generated by your neighbor's unlicensed security system.  Ed would advise you on your rights and on how to proceed.  You can reach him at w1rfi at arrl.org<mailto:w1rfi at arrl.org> .

Jim Hanlon, W8KGI