[AMRadio] QRM fron Neighbor's Security System

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Thu Jan 21 21:49:47 EST 2010

Sometime in the recent past there was a ham in Houston, TX (I believe)
who had interference that he traced to a neighbor who had two of those
electric scooters, one for him and one for his wife.  The noise was on
every night and the battery charge circuits put trash on the AC lines
that tore up the amateur bands.

He contacted the neighbor and told him of the problem so the neighbor
allowed him to install filters in the lines used to charge the
batteries.  That fixed the problem, so the ham thought.  Evidently the
scooter owners did not like the filters and removed them.  The ham tried
for months to get the owners to reinstall the filters but they would
not.

The rest of the story is short.  The FCC enforcement group finally
interceded and sent letters (more than one) telling the owners to put
the filters back in place.  They ignored the letters and it cost them
some fine, the amount I don't recall.  Sad deal for two people who
refused to follow the rules.  But if you have an unintentional radiator
then you can, after a process, get something done about it.

If you are an ARRL member, contact Ed Hare, W1RFI and get some help.
That will shorten the wait.

73

Jim/W5JO