[AMRadio] QRM fron Neighbor's Security System

Mike Sawyer w3slk at verizon.net
Fri Jan 22 18:21:57 EST 2010

Rob, (et al),
    I wouldn't count on the ARRgghhL doing anything to help you other than
send you a few pamphlets. A good friend of mine went through the "Neighbors
complaint about ham radio in their stereo" routine. Every time he lit off
his T-368, he would get phone calls. It got so bad that it became a
political issue. The neighbors complained to the mayor and the mayor told my
friend "I'm going to shut you down!" This made the local news as well.
Anyway, one day he gets a phone call from the FCC office out of NYC. They
want to come down and check his station out, see how he operates, etc. Two
guys from the FCC show their credentials and say they want to run tests etc.
Only one of the neighbors was home at the time so the other guy went there
and listened to the stereo while the one stayed with my friend at his
station. He tuned his T-368 for 375watts stating that was all he was allowed
to operate at. The FCC tech instructed him to tune for max power out. They
went through all the bands and found some slight audio reaching the stereo
on 40M but that was it. They packed up. Told my friend that they loved all
the classic radios that he had there and they thought they were cool. The
tech also told him not to worry that his signal was clean and with in the
parameters of his license. When my friend referred about what the mayor had
threatened him with. The guy said, "WE are the ones that say WHO may operate
and WHO MAY NOT!!! Don't worry about your mayor, we will take care of him."
Nothing else came of the issue other than the fact the mayor lost to his
opponent in the upcoming election.
    When I asked my friend if the (be)League(d) did anything for him. He
just pick up a pamphlet that said how to keep RFI out of your house, (about
a 2 page pamphlet).
    Thus began and feeds my cynicism about the ARRgghhL to this day.
Mod-U-Lator,
Mike(y)
W3SLK