[AMRadio] DX 60 mods

johndtate at post.com johndtate at post.com
Fri Jul 2 18:52:23 EDT 2010

I have a DX-60 with the W3CK mods.  It's AMAZING how many UNSOLICITED
AWESOME AUDIO reports I receive.  People simply are sometimes in awe
that I am on a DX-60 (with the help of either an SB-200 or a Henry
2K4).  These are usually more seasoned AMers too. These mods are not
difficult and are very effective.  The stock DX-60 is not bad at all
however.  As for worrying about holes... well... there are a LOT of
DX-60's still out there.  If you have a perfect example, then maybe you
should leave it alone.  My radio is not a museum shelf piece but a
working transmitter.

The over modulation indicator works spot on.  When I see it flash more
than just a very dim red on peak audio, I can be assured I am over
driving the audio.  A glance at the envelop on the scope confirms
flat-lining on the negative peaks.  It is very accurate.

The carrier level adjustment is something I'm not sure I could live
without now.  It has become part of my tuning process.  You see when
you adjust it, you have to touch up the audio level and sometimes the
handy when driving a linear amplifier.  It's sort of difficult to
explain but looking at a scope during tune up will clear that up.

Bill also published a hint about the accessing the audio gain pot
without taking the chassis cover off.  I use a wooden "ka-bob" skewer
bought in a pack of them from Wally-world (aka Walmart).  They cost
less than a couple bucks.  I whittled one end into the shape of a
flat-blade screwdriver.  Looking down from the top ventilation holes,
you can see the audio gain pot.  The hole directly above it becomes the
access with this long wooden "screwdriver".  I just leave it in place
with a half inch handle.  Works great.

Anyone wanna try some 40 meter AM tonight?

73, John KX5JT