[AMRadio] 813 tubes

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 00:49:32 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM, RICHARD GEORGE <k6kwq at msn.com> wrote:
> I'm gathering parts for an 813 monoband amp. Probably not the best choice of
> tubes but looking at the nostalgia amp for my AM station.
> I see RF parts has Taylor brand (probably from china} tubes and also see
> there are some Russian tubes available. Are they any good ? Are there better
> sources for 813 tubes I will need 2.

I would strongly suggest looking around for some lightly used or NOS
RCA or other era brands, There are a LOT of them around, many made for
the war effort and beyond, and they aren't expensive. Should be easy
to track a pair down. They're actually good tubes for a moderate power
level amp or HB rig.

Run them for a while with just filaments lit if you get a NOS set,
just to let the getter collect any random gas that has escape in the
decades of being dormant.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4