[AMRadio] OLD RADIO STATION RELIVES

John Lawson jpl15 at panix.com
Fri Jul 16 11:16:12 EDT 2010

   Another BTA 500MX followed me home last summer...  I have the filaments
operating, but it was in a small semi-rural station in central California,
and it's maintenance over the years was - shall we say - "well
intentioned"   HIHI..  much much work yet to be done to get the old girl
cleaned up and making RF once again.

   For example, one of the bypass capacitors in the IPa blew up rather
spectacularly, and the 'fix' was to attach a Sprague orange-drop cap to
the tube socket with a pair of rolled-up yellow clip leads.  How long it
was on the air like that is anyone's guess, but the whole mess had a heavy
layer of dust and grunge on it, so...

   Mine will live on 75 AM Fone when it's done, paired with an R-390 or
R-388, and eventually some small tube-based broadcast console to feed
audio with.

  Cheers

John KB6SCO
Carson City