[AMRadio] Any AM ops in my area?

Brian - KF5CCN bzwiener at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 1 12:24:47 EDT 2010

The first thing you should do with any old gear is replace ALL the electrolytic caps.
As far as working with high voltage, follow the safety precautions.
Remove ALL jewelery from hands, fingers. Make sure the unit is UNPLUGGED from AC power. Wait for voltage to bleed off. Then discharge the caps by shorting them. Be ready for the possibility of a loud pop and sparks. This is scary at first, but you will get used to it. it is part of working on tube gear with High voltage. ALWAYS work with one hand and never touch the chassis with the other hand.
Research working with high voltage.
After you get the unit working, and you will. You will need to perform some simple and inexpensive audio mods. That will come later.
There is plenty of great help on this forum. If it were not for the AM Radio group and a couple of special individuals I would not have my DX-60 on the air now.
You will love the rig once it is working.

73
Brian/KF5CCN