[AMRadio] Antennas

Donald Sanders w4bws at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 13:40:12 EDT 2010

The problem is not the antenna but the fact that compared to SSB you need 4 times the AM power to sound as strong. If you want a stronger signal and have the room, put up a half wave dipole with a reflector behing it to beam your signal to Dallas.
That said, the configuration of your windom is like an inverted Vee and you sacrifice signal strength in the broadside direction to gain more omni-directional coverage. IIRC, Cebik said the windom in inverted Vee was about 85% as effective as in the flattop installation.
My Carolina Windom worked like gangbusters when I was in Alabama and up in the 70 foot level between the trees. Here it is at 30 feet, no tall trees, and works ho-hum.  Any antenna is better than no antenna.
Don W4BWS/HC4