[AMRadio] AM IARU Region 2 Bandplan

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Sat Mar 6 14:18:20 EST 2010

Here's my feedback on the present Region 2 bandplan.
I submitted it to  bandplan2010 at arrl.org as was requested...

- - - - - - - - - - -
ARRL -

Feedback on IARU Region 2 bandplan

The actual need for bandplans has not been established, but if we
accept that one is desired, a bandplan should recommend *modes* for
segments, not signal bandwidths.  Most hams know what mode they are
running, but few really know the bandwidths involved.

Very few hams have the knowledge, skills, or test equipment to measure
occupied bandwidth anyway, so its use in a bandplan is a meaningless
standard.  The common practice of tuning a communications receiver
across a signal is NOT how to measure occupied bandwidth and
will produce misleading results.

The present Region 2 bandplan's bandwidth limitation to 2700 Hz in most
phone and image segments is especially inappropriate.  It unnecessarily
excludes some modes, particularly the DSB AM mode which is growing in
popularity.  I am VERY much against such limits - tight regulation and
restrictions like these goes completely against the experimental and
innovative aspects of ham radio.

I feel we need no such plans restricting operation by bandwidth.
Bandplans like this have a history of increasing the stress among
amateurs with arguments and finger-pointing.  I think it is vital to
avoid tight restriction and limitation which could hinder our future
options.  We should err on the side of flexibility and less
restrictions, rather than more and tighter controls that eliminate
future choices.  If we are to remain viable as an organized hobby we've
got to be open to a wide variety of modes, both old and new.

Steve Johnston, WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com