[AMRadio] AM IARU Region 2 Bandplan

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Mon Mar 8 19:05:30 EST 2010

> I have enough of a time keeping the BEASTs reined in at 1500W PEP.  If I
> set the microphone resting current at the specified in the TM at 40ma,
> the darn thing WILL hit 2500W PEP.

There is nothing in Part 97 that says we even have to have instruments
capable of measuring PEP.  They specifically deleted the provision requiring
accurate power measuring instruments when they changed the power limit
rules, because in the Report and Order they admitted that many hams would
not be able to ACCURATELY measure output power.

If you are worried about the power you are running, just keep the DC input
at 500 watts or less, or if you think you have good accurate rf power output
measuring capability, run the carrier at 375 watts output. Check the
envelope pattern on a scope to make sure the negative peaks don't go over
100% and that the positive peaks don't flat-top, and run the modulation as
high as you can while still avoiding those extremes. I can't see why some
people are so nit-picky. If your signal is clean, nobody is going to come
busting down your door because an occasional voice peak exceeded a certain
limit.

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/