[AMRadio] AM IARU Region 2 Bandplan

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Wed Mar 10 21:06:38 EST 2010

The alarming confusion expressed right here on the AMRADIO mailing list
regarding the occupied bandwidth of a DSB AM signal makes my point
beautifully.  Most hams know what mode they are running, but few really
know the bandwidth of their signnal.

Very few hams have the knowledge, skills, or test equipment to measure
occupied bandwidth anyway, so its use in a bandplan is a meaningless
standard.  The common practice of tuning a communications receiver
across a signal is NOT how to measure occupied bandwidth and will
produce misleading results.

Again, let me emphasize:  the present IARU Region 2 bandplan's
bandwidth limitation of 2700 Hz refers to the amount of space used by
the signal on the band, not the range of audio used to modulate the
transmitter.  Most DSB AM signals are going to use at least 6 kHz of
spectrum space - most more.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/