[AMRadio] AM IARU Region 2 Bandplan

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Mar 10 22:47:12 EST 2010

> "No place in Part 97 is the bandwidth for eater SSB or AM defined."

Section 97.307(a) is the closest regulation we have pertaining occupied
bandwidth in the American amateur service.  However, some folks have argued
that Sections 2.201 and 2.202 apply to the Part 97 service since Section
97.307(a) states:

"No amateur station transmission shall occupy more bandwidth than necessary
for the information rate and emission type being transmitted, in accordance
with good amateur practice."

Then, Section 2.202 defines "necessary bandwidth" and "occupied bandwidth"
based on class of service.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/octqtr/47cfr2.201.htm

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/octqtr/47cfr2.202.htm

Reading Sections 2.201-2.202 together, the FCC has already incorporated much
of the ITU's bandwidth and emission designators from Appendix 1 of its
bandwidth recommendations.

http://life.itu.ch/radioclub/rr/ap01.htm

To the best of my knowledge, the FCC has never formally relied upon Sections
2.201-2.202 when addressing bandwidth concerns in the Part 97 service.

Paul, W9AC