[AMRadio] Buzzies and hash all over the spectrum

BILL GUYGER bguyger at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 16 16:23:36 EDT 2010

Hi All

The noise floor in my neighborhood is thru the roof because of all the switching power supplies and compact fluorescent lights. It sucks, but that's just the way it is. I also live 3 blocks from the Dallas Area Rapid Transit light rail line which is powered by a monster switcher.

Steve's paper is good stuff, he put a lot of work into it, but also please see the paper by Chuck W1HIS

http://www.yccc.org/Articles/W1HIS/CommonModeChokesW1HIS2006Apr06.pdf

A lot of it is Common Mode Chokes for Antennas, but he spends discusses getting rid of interference from computer power supplies etc. with ferrite common mode chokes

Chuck is a big time contester and DX'er and also happens to be a Radio and Radar Astronimer and is Professor Emerius of Planetary Studies at MIT. He also holds several of the patents that make GPS work. SOB may know what he's talking about. He also has a really neat design for what he calls a Sloper Doublet that covers all the HF bands. I can send you some poop on it if anyone is interested.

Bill AD5OL