[AMRadio] FCC Non-cooperation (was ILLEGAL STUFF ON E BAY)

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Mar 17 12:56:44 EDT 2010

> Still, the intent of Part 15 is to protect licensed users from
> interference from unlicensed devices, and the best option we have to
> enforce current regulations (or potentially get better ones)  is to
> continue to elevate our concerns to the FCC and those who oversee the
> agency.
>
> 73, Bob W9RAN

Excellent advise, Bob.  Part 15 needs to get current with the times.  As
more consumers replace their household appliances with models that
incorporate RFI/EMI emitting technology, the problem will only become worse.
The certification section was last re-written at time when nearly all of our
major household appliances did not contain SMPS and microprocessors.

Today, household "appliances" are exempt from Part 15 certification and
problems associated with these unintentional radiators are dealt with after
they generate interference to licensed services.  The FCC could help itself
in this matter with a rule change that includes appliances in the
certification requirement.  A bit of time spent on a rule change would pay
great dividends in reducing their time spent on the enforcement effort.

Paul, W9AC