[AMRadio] Broadcast stuff

Ellen ellengtrgrl at dslextreme.com
Sat Mar 20 10:23:42 EDT 2010

I'd have to agree with both Mark and Larry,

We've had severe weather here, where the cell service has been disrupted a
few times - so much for the touted benefits counting on your cellphone,
anytime, or anywhere.

Also, don't forget that cell systems can just plain be defective.  What do
yo do then?  I have a friend, who lives out of state, and is also a ham.
Occasionaly we'll chat on the phone if radio condx. just aren't there for
the QSO.  She called me last night.  Since the long distance charges are
cheaper for her cell phone,  she uses her cell for long distance, and has no
landline long distance phone call plan.  Lately my friend has been getting
dropouts while using her cell phone.  Last night she called me, and we
experienced no less than 6 dropouts, while she was at home (not walking in a
hilly area, were her signal could be blocked)!  In every case it took
several  minutes to re-establish the connection.  Grrrr!   My friend has
contacted her cell provider numerous times about the issue.  This past week,
the cell provider finally sent some techs to check out the problem.  My
friend was lucky to catch the cell phone techs finishing their service
checks, while she was returning home from running errands, so she asked them
what they'd found out.  What they told her surprised her, and infuriated
her.  They "tested" the cell system by making phone calls with 3 different
cell phones (no, my frined's provider is not Verizon ;) ).  Since they were
able to connect using the 3 different cell phones, the "system was in order,
and it had to be my friend's cell phone that was the culprit."

As I said above, my friend was infuriated, by the tech's findings.  You see,
not only is she a ham (an Extra), she has a huge background in RF
electronics, having worked as an RF tech, on commercial radio systems, and
an RF engineering tech for a defense contractor (some of the RF
communications systems she's worked on, and helped develop, are still
classified), and an Associates Degree in electronics. She's forgotten more
about electronics, and RF related technology, than I know.  She'd still be
working as an RF tech. if her worsening eyesight (she was born with a rare
form of cataracts, and has been dealing with the aftereffects of  surgery
done to remove them, when she was born - she's been legally blind her entire
life) hadn't made it difficult for her to continue working as an RF tech or
RF engineering tech (she still can do the work [as a matter of fact, she's
starting the restoration of a Kenwood R-599], it's just that her pace is
slow, due to her very poor eyesight). So, when my friend found out what
"testing" had been performed by the cell techs, she got on their case for
not running diagnostic tests on the system.  They told her that they
normally don't do in-depth diagnostic checks, and don't even carry the kind
of equipment (which my friend used to work with, when she was a commercial
RF tech), needed for doing in-depth checks.  So, my friend is back to square
one with her wonderful cell provider.  She will let her cell provider
replace her phone (although in her opinion, that's not the problem), and
will have to do more investigation into the problem herself. Thanks to her
contract,she can't drop her provider for another 6 months.

So, getting back to the ENCOMM topic - would you want to count on your cell,
if  you have to deal with a crappy cell system, like my friend has?  Not me.
I'll stock to my radios, thank you  Also, like Mark said, Amateur radio is
best used as local communications support - not in some whackerish "I'm
going to save the day" manner.

73,
A very long winded Ellen - AF9J