[AMRadio] Broadcast stuff

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 10:33:37 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Mike Sawyer <w3slk at verizon.net> wrote:
> Someone also mentioned,
> I think it was on this board, about the fact that the government was holding
> on to Collins KWM-2As for that expressed purpose.

That was true, though I'm not sure it is anymore, Mikey. They actually
had a bunch cleaned up and ready to go for the first Gulf War in 91
when the new SS rigs proved to be a weak point due to the fine sand in
the Middle East which caused everything from clogged air filters to
static zappage galore. IIRC, Dennis Brothers was selected to go
through and prep a bunch of the FRC-93 packages. The war ended before
they made it to the theater, and shortly thereafter a bunch of them
were surplussed through a company in California called Davilyn I
think.

R-390As were also called up but met a similar fate. They apparently
ran another run of cabinets for them as well, which were showing up
until recently. Though I wouldn't doubt that there are still some sets
tucked away in a dark warehouse corner somewhere (that shot from the
end of Indian Jones comes to mind), my guess is that much of the stuff
was surplussed or run through Cap'n Crunch back in the 90s.

Fortunately for the world, enough 'nutty' ham types hung onto theirs.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4