[AMRadio] More Hash and Buzzies

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Fri Mar 26 16:48:34 EDT 2010

I encountered the same situation with the FCC over the air handler unit
to my HVAC,  it is a multi speed motor that is controlled by a PWM
signal.    The noise it puts out is nothing like this thing though but I
followed up with the manufacturer and they would not, (first) admit the
problem with in their unit, and (second) would not provide any help
other than telling me to buy a filter from Radio Shack.

I contacted the FCC about the problem and found that the only
requirement in Part 15 below 30 Mc. has to do with conducted signals,
not only that, the limits are very liberal.  So ,if you have one of
these phones  near you, probably the best thing to do is transmit on the
frequency their oscillator is using with a lot of power and hope the
user will experience enough trouble to dump the damn thing.

We need a re-write of the re-write of part 15 for signals below 30 meg
but don't hold your breath unless you have a Congressman or Senator who
is on the budget committee.

Jim/W5JO