[AMRadio] sdr-iq

Bernie Doran qedconsultants at embarqmail.com
Sat Mar 27 13:13:48 EDT 2010

well I am going to stir the pot again with my probable final comments on my
SDR-IQ.  first the good, never had a panadapter or bandscope, it works great
for that. The filters are very good.  The issues to me are the following, it
is noisy, to itself and also to a receiver on the same antenna, it lacks
sensitivity, it has spurs,  and the big one to me is the audio quality, a
moderate strength AM signal is difficult to understand and when on my hollow
state stuff it is nearly %100 copy.  The present computer is a 2.2gig quad
core, no performance change above a single core 1.8 gig.   Numerous
different audio systems confirm that it is the nature of the beast.

I have read numerous articles on D-A and A-D processing and believe that 14
bit is not going to do the job that I want.  I suspect 24 bit and a much
higher sampling rate, 150 meg?  would just about cure the audio issue for
me.  I am starting to believe that the glowing reports written about SDR are
prepared by those that have never used an old VT receiver or have one
available to run beside the sdr. My FT1000 Mark V had glowing reports and I
am really disappointed with it.  I have an ever deepening respect for those
that designed and built the old classic receivers.  Looking at noise figures
and sensitivity on those old dogs places them very close to theoretical
limits, pretty amazing.  I have put my money where my mouth, I should, about
April 10 or so have a completely reman R-390A.   I was going to try the Flex
5000, but as I posted earlier they did not see fit to respond to my
questions, perhaps  thinking the questions were not fit to respond too.

Earth hour is today, be sure to turn on all of your lights to help save the
grid and generators.  !  Bernie W8RPW