[AMRadio] sdr-iq

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 23:43:49 EDT 2010

Hi Bernie,

I have gone back and forth on the receive audio question with my rigs.
 I have never had a PC controlled receiver, but I have a Kenwood TS870
which is a 24 bit dsp firmware receiver.  I have the 1000MP Mk V also
and I agree that the stock audio is not very good.  I widened the
stock 6 KHz passband AM IF and tapped the AM detector and brought that
signal out to an external tube push pull amp and speaker.  Those two
things made a vast difference on AM and it sounds like a tube boat
anchor rx now.  Next I get the 75A3 and fire it up and I'm not very
thrilled with the audio quality.  At this point the audio I get from
the stock TS870 with a 14 KHz passband is almost as good as the
modified Yaesu.  75A3 is worst of the three.  But I tap the detector
on the A3 and with a 10 KHz AM passband, put its audio out to another
p.p. vintage AF amp and set of speakers.  Now I prefer it over the
TS870 and it is at least as good or better than the tapped and
modified Yaesu.  I have never had a SX28 or any of the "audio" ba
receivers (many of which seem to be general coverage) but I have
concluded that most ham receivers need some help of one sort or
another as they were not intended for great audio but rather for
chasing dx.

73

Rob
K5UJ