[AMRadio] SDR-IQ

Jay Bromley jayw5jay at cox.net
Mon Mar 29 19:43:13 EDT 2010

Hi Don,
For years I have used SpectraPlus.  They sure seem to be pricey these days,
since I have purchased the software.  Here is the link:
http://www.spectraplus.com/  I guess 14 years or more has flown by since I
purchased mine?  Seems it was expensive then, but I can't remember how much.
I am still using he original copy without any problems.  I have sure got my
money worth out of it.  Works great, but a few times I have had ground loops
throw me off until I figured out what was going on.  Computer power supplies
are horrible in this regard.

I am using the Perseus SDR, mainly for the bandscope right now, but the sync
detector sure works nice on AM.  I did have to up the AGC theshold up in the
menu settings, to make it perform better.  It also comes with a very nice 40
MHz spectrum analyzer software.  Even though I bought it to listen to and
have fun with on AM, I justified the price for both a nice toy for the shack
and a useful piece of test gear.  The spectrum analyzer is nice to use at
times and seems to be really accurate for the sort of HF tests I do.  Also
being able to record huge amounts of spectrum and then later being able to
analyze them is really nice.  Clicking with the mouse on the bandscope with
these recordings and listening to other signals than the one your recorded
is cool.  You can also change settings like for the filter BW, Notch, etc,
while playing back these MP3 like files like in real time.  So I am a
convert on the new gadgets.

73 de jay..