[AMRadio] SDR IQ

Jay Bromley jayw5jay at cox.net
Wed Mar 31 04:13:52 EDT 2010

Hi Don,
As Brett mentioned most laptops sound cards are not that great.  However
some of the high end jobs had special cards that are better than average,
but these are rare.  Once you know what to look for in the spectrum wave
forms it's really not all that bad, just be aware of problems that can creep
into mix.

What I do is just be sure everything is clean before I power up up the
device I am testing.  You can run some simple tests with your audio
generator to get a better feel for this.  Some sound cards you have to be
real careful on the levels you are feeding it.  On the lower end sound cards
and on some of the older on board sound cards it is very easy to see
spurious signals pop up from overloading.  Fun to inject a signal to see
what you can get away with before overloading makes some dandy harmonics.
Some software will also tell you when the level is too hot.

I would probably find a old junk desktop and add a nice card to get the most
from the spectrum software.  Computers are so cheap these days!  You can
find some great high end sound cards that really make a nice setup for you.
Find a kid that loves to have the latest in gaming hardware and he would
more than likely give you a nice card that cost him big bucks a few months
back!  Dare I say, keep an eye open on Epay for card that cost hundreds of
dollars just a few months ago, now going for under $40!  You can make do
with the on board card, but my experience is there is huge improvement going
to an aftermarket sound card.

It sounds like a huge mess, but don't let my comments scare you off!
Software like you are looking at is very nice addition to ones shack for
testing, especially on receivers.  Many of the Japanese rigs I have messed
with didn't have that great or flat response, but making and saving graphs
as you make changes is really helpful.  Much easier and faster than sweeping
the old way, plus you get to see how good the filters are in addition to the
audio section.

It is amazing how close you can plot a friend's audio off the air with
spectra programs once you open up the receiver's bandpass and have a flat
audio amp!  Another area the SDR shines in, but careful attention to any
receiver will have similar results.

73 de w5jay/jay..