[AMRadio] Capacitor sources... an idea

zengmeiste at aol.com zengmeiste at aol.com
Mon May 3 20:53:33 EDT 2010

Gents, I once had the privilege of touring (part of) the Western Electric facility in
Cicero, IL courtesy of my electronics instructor, Harry umm somethingorother.
 I don't know whether the setup we all saw was WA's main capacitor production
 device, but it sure was cute.  A PDP 8/I was being used as a process-control computer (someone sells DIY kits for these now...) for a foil+dielectric winding gizmo.
 Set up the foil and plastic rolls, click to the desired value and let 'er rip.

    Man, she was pretty.  [ oh.. it was Harry Wheaton IIRC ]

   This COULD be duplicated by someone with a yen to DIY; hey,
 there's a fellow in France who manufactures his own vacuum tubes
 from start to finish; they DO work, I'm told.

   Just a vagrant thought for your delectation.

     73 all,     Terry KC9KEL