[AMRadio] Heathkit DX-60 Saga


Brian Zwiener bzwiener at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 18 01:12:20 EDT 2010


Well, I replaced all resistors in the mod circuit, not that many, all P.S. caps. the cathode res. for the 6146 final. 
No change, but no regrets either. They are old.
There was a strange arcing on the filter can from day one. Thought it was poor solder connections, wrong. I replace the caps with tubular ones I had "in stock". It arced once but in a different spot, where I grounded the caps on the chassis.
The voltages around the audio preamp tube are good. But on the modulator there is full plate voltage on the grid and the cathode resistors overheat and try to burn again. With the 6DE6 mod tube out there is no problem. I still suspect a shorted tube, even thought no short with a static test with the V.O.M. It could break down with nearly 600 VDC on it. 
A new tube is on the way.
Once the unit is repaired and tested and burned in, I will install the T/R accessory kit that an Angel of a Ham sent to me. He/she will remain anonymous for the time being. It is another show of the Radio Amateur Spirit.

73 and God Bless

Brian/KF5CCN 

"Money is temporary, but radio is forever"
-The "Old Dog" K5BAI




More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 16 Dec 2017.