[AMRadio] Boat Anchor Receiver

Terry Armstrong odtrainer at aol.com
Thu Dec 1 16:27:04 EST 2011

Thanks Arnie,

Terry
K0IEO

Terry R. Armstrong
2445 Riverside Dr. #302
Trenton, MI 48183

odtrainer at aol.com
Cell 734-778-3008

-----Original Message-----
From: Arnie Adelman <arnie.adelman at infosec-consultant.com>
To: amradio <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thu, Dec 1, 2011 11:00 am
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Boat Anchor Receiver

Please don't overlook the older collins receivers.  I have and us a 75A2
with my Ranger.  It doesn't have the filters or product detector but it
works reallllly good on AM and CW also.  This is my second and both were in
the $125 range, needing a good cleaning, recapping, and one come without a
case.  There are plenty of really well cared for A2s that will cost
considerably more, but probably won't work any/much better.

I have two Drake 2Bs and love them, but not so much for AM.  Also the A2
covers 160 meters. I recently had a NC300 that worked pretty good but not as
good as the A2 or 2B - in my opinion (forgive me Carl). I also had a really
pretty HQ170A/C VHF and it drifted like crazy especially had the higher
bands.  After sticking a few pins in the VooDoo doll, it settled down to
mild neader up the band.  Both the 75A2 and Drake 2B are hetrodyne vfos and
more stable than those that try to oscillate at about 10mhz without
drifting.

Maybe that's more than 2Cents worth - you can bill me for the difference.

arnie - W1GCI