[AMRadio] Boat Anchor Receiver

wb3fau at att.net wb3fau at att.net
Fri Dec 2 21:44:49 EST 2011

There  are a lot of different  ways to look at RX selection, Terry.  In the end,  look  up what they  cost  when new.  Collins is always  good stuff.  but its the older  ones  that excell for AM.  R-388, 75A1 and A2.
Also R-390 and R-390A.  National  is  number 2, but there are a lot of older  models which will  work for  your vintage  station.  i  had  a large collection of these.  Most are now gone.  i  have a  few  choice ones left.  NC-100, NC-240D, NC-300.  The 300 has 2kc resolution.  When
you  have a 300 in  good working order,  its as sensitive as anything
out there.  It  runs  cool, except  for the rectifier.  I  have  never  recapped this radio-  never  had to.   Hammarlunds are  pretty  good,  but not as good of design,  but they have  pretty  good audio.  Not real good on higher bands. [stability  and sensitivity].  Its  all about   how much cash  will you  part  with?  73 Russ.