[AMRadio] Boat Anchor Receiver


Bob Macklin macklinbob at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 14:34:38 EST 2011


If you want a decent Hallicrafters GC AM/CW receiver look at the SX-100.

IMHO it would be a good receiver to use with a Ranger.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.
"Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Terry Armstrong" <odtrainer at aol.com>
To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Boat Anchor Receiver


> Bob,
>
>
> I mainly use it on Ten AM.  Just had a nice chat with a station in New 
> Mexico from MI.  Worked a fellow in the Canadian Rockies earlier.  must 
> say it works fine on Ten.
>
>
> I haven't used it on CW yet, but plan on using it on CW also.
>
>
> I haven't looked at a General coverage receivers except the Hallicrafters 
> S 76 I almost bough it out of nostalgia -- I had one in my novice days. 
> I'll reconsider that.
>
>
> Terry
> K0IEO
>
>
>
>
> Terry R. Armstrong
> 2445 Riverside Dr. #302
> Trenton, MI 48183
>
> odtrainer at aol.com
> Cell 734-778-3008
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bob Macklin <macklinbob at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service 
> <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Sent: Tue, Dec 20, 2011 8:48 am
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Boat Anchor Receiver
>
>
> Since the Ranger is an AM/CW transmitter many were used with GC receivers.
> Most of the better GC receivers has good enough stability for "OLD 
> BUZZARD"
> AM activity and good enough CW stability for short term CW work.
>
> It partially depends on how you want to use the Ranger.
>
> I have been thinking about getting a ranger to use with my NC-109.
>
> Bob Macklin
> K5MYJ
> Seattle, Wa.
> "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Terry Armstrong" <odtrainer at aol.com>
> To: <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
> Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:35 AM
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Boat Anchor Receiver
>
>
>> Ho Todd,
>>
>>
>> It's clear folks have their favorite and not so favorite receivers.  If I
>> am not careful I could but a tuck load of them, but I really only have
>> room for one and I am trying to get it pretty close to what I remember
>> back then.  I think I'll check the various online museums.
>>
>>
>> Terry
>> K0IEO
>>
>>
>> Terry R. Armstrong
>> 2445 Riverside Dr. #302
>> Trenton, MI 48183
>>
>> odtrainer at aol.com
>> Cell 734-778-3008
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Todd, KA1KAQ <ka1kaq at gmail.com>
>> To: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service
>> <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
>> Sent: Tue, Dec 20, 2011 7:51 am
>> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Boat Anchor Receiver
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 2:43 AM,  <manualman at juno.com> wrote:
>>> Definitely one of the more silly and "makes no sense" type discussions.
>>> Sort of like asking, what's the best car color to get to match my house
>>> style.
>>
>> I can understand it from a hysterical....erm.....historical
>> perspective. If trying to create a period station to enjoy as someone
>> did 50 years ago is the goal, it's simple, since Johnson didn't make
>> receivers: check available receivers of the day for price/performance,
>> then cross reference the results against old CQ and QST photos. This
>> will show what was available as well as what Ranger users preferred or
>> could afford.
>>
>> Asking online will result in as many receiver suggestions as were
>> available then, given enough response time. Pretty much everyone will
>> have an opinion of what's "correct".
>>
>> ~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
>> AMRadio mailing list
>> Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/amradio@mailman.qth.net/
>> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
>> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
>> Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
>> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>
>>
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
>> AMRadio mailing list
>> Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/amradio@mailman.qth.net/
>> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
>> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
>> Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
>> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
> AMRadio mailing list
> Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/amradio@mailman.qth.net/
> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Our Main Website: http://www.amfone.net
> AMRadio mailing list
> Searchable Archives: http://www.mail-archive.com/amradio@mailman.qth.net/
> List Rules (must read!): http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html
> List Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/amradio
> Post: AMRadio at mailman.qth.net
> To unsubscribe, send an email to amradio-request at mailman.qth.net with
> the word unsubscribe in the message body.
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html 



More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 17 Nov 2017.