[AMRadio] Boat Anchor Receiver

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Sun Dec 25 08:27:54 EST 2011

On 2011-12-24, at 8:07 PM, Brett Gazdzinski wrote:

> In some respects, building a receiver is easier then a transmitter, smaller,
> lighter. I did not find it hard to build one, I just had to do a bit of experimenting
> to find out what worked and what did not, or was hard to get working.
>
> I got the coil stock from the junk box. I had ordered a bunch back when they still made it, and it was cheap, plus
> found some at fests. You only need little pieces for a LO coil.

> The hardest thing to find (I think) would be good tube type 455 KHz if
> transformers, but since the filter does the work, there might be other ways
> to do it.
>
> Brett

Hi Brett,

I, too, have built no less than THREE receivers here in my 40 year tenure as a Ham. Allow me to share my experiences along these lines with you & the group:

(1) A regenerative receiver may look easy to be build, but it can drive you to drink very quickly making it work right!

(2) IF transformers CAN be homebrewed---I have seen at least two links on-line with information on exactly how this can be done. Google it.

(3) A hand-wound enamel wire coil on a plastic pill container sealed with clear fingernail polish works just as well as a piece of B&W coil stock.

(4) Do NOT start "BIG" & overly ambitious in the making of a receiver---you'll quickly become overwhelmed, & disillusioned. Start small first, & learn from your mistakes (a good beginner's project this way is "A MATE FOR THE MIGHTY MIDGET", ref. 1969 ARRL HANDBOOK, & April 1966 QST).

(5) THERE IS NO FEELING OF ACCOMPLISHMENT IN HAM RADIO AS THE JOY & SATISFACTION THAT YOU'LL DERIVE WHEN YOU MAKE TWO-WAY COMMUNICATIONS WIITH YOUR FELLOW HAMS USING A STATION THAT WAS 100% CRAFTED BY YOUR OWN HANDS!!!

Don't be intimidated to start, don't give up---remember, THE LONGEST JOURNEY BEGINS WITH THE FIRST SMALL STEP...!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

PS: My last HB receiver creation: http://www.superhets.info/page9.html