[AMRadio] STA AM Beacon on 472.500kc

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Tue Dec 27 07:14:40 EST 2011

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that tip---I heard it this morning!

I was casually tuning below 500-KHz during a "lull" in my 160-meter work, when suddenly I detected what sounded like modulation overtop of a carrier---I switched off the BFO, & sure enough, there was a male voice announcing the station's presence in, I believe, the State of Virginia...

I'm sure I felt just like one of those shipboard operators at sea must have felt like way back when, as they were tuning around that part of the spectrum expecting to hear code signals---and then suddenly coming across Reginald Fessenden making a voice modulated Christmas transmission...neat!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ