[AMRadio] Slow scan tv

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 06:52:27 EST 2011

Thanks John.   "Digital SSTV" seems like a nonsequitur.   If it is
digital, what about it is a scan, and what about it is slow?  I am not
picking on you John, but rather what the operators of that mode choose
to call it.  It seems more like just digital image transmission; no
slow, no scan, no TV.   They probably just have a PC, a PC camera and
all that hooked up to a ham rig somehow.   I wonder if anyone operates
real SSTV, what would probably now be called vintage SSTV.  Even back
when it was the only SSTV around, I didn't think it was very
interesting.  I once knew a ham, now SK, who was one of those types
who tried most everything new when it came out.  He had a complete
Robot brand SSTV station along with the full S Line (he was fairly
well to do).  I went over to his shack to see it.  We sat there with
the lights off looking at the yellowish phosphor monitor watching an 8
second picture appear.  By the time the electron beam got to the
bottom of the screen the top had almost faded.   I was politely
complimentary, but thought to myself that it was a waste of money.
Well, we all have our different raves, but the digital modes never did
wind my watch.

73

Rob
K5UJ