[AMRadio] Broadcast Processors

Dennis Gilliam dennisgilliam at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 13:04:21 EDT 2011

A short story about an AM transmitter:

Years ago I was CE for KZZP-AM in Mesa, AZ.  The station had a Bauer 5kW,
and management wanted it to be 'louder'.

Replacing the old, single-band limiter, I installed a CRL set of three units
(AGC, EQ, and limiter), the usual setup.

Wow, what a difference that made!  It still didn't please the program
director, so I got Ron Jones (the owner of Circuit Research Labs) to come
out and take a look.  He said 'This transmitter has the worst bottom end
tilt I've ever seen'.

He went back and cooked up an experimental box we installed the next week,
and boy, did it sound really good & loud.  Lots of mod plate glow, BTW.  A
week later, the 4-000 modulators were flat.  I didn't think that was too
bad, as they had been in service for some time.

I put in a new set, things were good again.  Boy, those Eimacs were really
working for a living, I thought.

Two weeks later, they looked like old coffee pots, brown from ion burns and
totally without emission--again.  I mentioned this to the PD, and that this
will cost some $.  He said, 'Don't worry about it, we are going to make a
bundle!'

New tubes were ordered up, and in went my last spares.  The same drill went
down, those tubes died in two weeks.  More tubes installed.  More great
glow....

Then the office manager asked me about the invoices she was getting from
Richardson Electronics for all those 4-1000's.  I told her the story.  She
went to the boss, and that started a loud argument between her and the PD
about the $$ out vs. the $$ in.

The big boss found for her, and the 'magic box' from CRL was retired and mod
tubes went back to lasting about a year or so.

The lesson of TANSTAAFL applied to transmitters.

73DG