[AMRadio] Valiant carrier

John Tate johndtate at post.com
Sat Jun 18 09:37:55 EDT 2011

We've all had to start somewhere Ed. That's good that you take the time to help them improve. I certainly went through the same progression. G5RV in a bag, but I managed to make some contacts. When I finally went to the dipole, it was a lot better on the resonant frequency, no doubt! I remember thinking oh no this thing is much noisier because the noise floor came up, but the signals came up even more, on the resonant frequency. Yep, I'll never go back the G5RV but it served it's purpose. Europe, Japan, Africa, the south Pacific.... low power during the sunspot minimun on each band between 80 and 17 meters too. I would exactly call them a dummy load, but I do understand your point. When I got involved with AM, the G5RV suddenly revealed it's limitations.