[AMRadio] AM power

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 21:16:42 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Ron Youvan <ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>   If you wish to be legal and push it to the limit you can buy a peak reading Wattmeter.

You've got to be kidding me.  I like the LED wattbars myself.  Those
are so accurate.

> The 375 Watts is a "guide line" not any limit, it tells you where you should be when setting up your
> output power.  ( B 4 you start yelling CQ CQ CQ CQ)

Show me the exact quote in Part 97 that mentions 375 watts and that it
is a "guideline."

>   The FCC allows broadcasters a +10% and a -20% tolerances, but if your calibration is certain to
> only 5% your limits are -5% and - 15%.

I'm not interested in what broadcasters do here.  This is ham radio.
There are some differences:
We use shortwaves.  We have to receive as well as transmit.  We can
and usually wish to cover a wide range of frequencies; not transmit on
only one.
I could go on, but I hope these key points indicate that this isn't
broadcasting that we're discussing.

>   If the FCC gave HAMs a tolerances factor HAMs would tend to over do everything by that much more,
> it's human nature.

Subjective opinion posing as fact.

73

Rob