[AMRadio] Best product for noisy potentiometers / How to salvage the contents of inoperative aerosol spray can?

W5AMI ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 13:27:52 EDT 2013

I have used PB Blaster with pretty good luck.  Also, I think it's spirit of
wintergreen that works well for frozen parts and smells good.  A good
friend told me about that...

I have seen the liquid WD-40 before too.  I'm sure you can get it online.
I prefer to spray some in a little cap or something and brush it on.  I
just applied some the other day to the band switch on an old Philco
entertainment rx I'm working on for a friend, and the switch is no longer
having intermittent connections.  So far, so good.  Have not tried it on a
pot yet.

Brian / w5ami

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo at gmail.com>wrote:

> PB Blaster is great.  They're getting into the variety game though and
> make a few different types.  One is labeled as being for garage doors.
>
> Last year I used Blaster to free up a sewer lateral access cap in my
> basement.  It did the job in FB style, but the basement stank for a
> couple of days.
>
> Use Blaster outside as much as possible.
>
> I've seen WD40 for sale in metal gallon cans not under pressure.
> Can't remember where I saw it that way.  A gallon would be a lifetime
> supply for me so I didn't pay close attention to it.
>

> Rob
> K5UJ
>

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Donald Chester <k4kyv at charter.net> wrote:
>

> > Just like house paint.  Sherwin Williams has a zillion different grades
> and
> > a wide ranges of prices. A local brand, made in Memphis. just has one
> grade
> > of each: interior, exterior each available in oil or acrylic latex,
> > flat/satin/gloss. Little or no price difference per gallon.  I go with
>  the
> > local stuff for the exact same reason. I just want a good quality paint
> that
> > will last about 10 years without having to read through all the hype
> trying
> > to figure out which grade is best and most cost effective for the job.
> >
> > I picked up a tiny bottle of De-oxit at Dayton one year. Very expensive
> for
> > the amount of liquid.  Wasn't impressed at all by its performance. IMO
> not
> > as effective as WD-40 for cleaning pots and switch contacts.
> >
> > I have a couple of spray cans of WD-40 that are still half full, but the
> > spray nozzle doesn't work anymore.  Not a problem with the little red
> > plastic nozzle cap; I took it off and when I push in the nozzle tube it
> > still won't spray.  Must be clogged up internally. I saved the cans in
> hope
> > of salvaging the fluid.  Haven't figured out the best way to do it. Maybe
> > taking a gallon jug, driving a small nail into the can, and letting it
> spray
> > itself out into the jug? All aerosols have a dire safety warning not to
> > puncture the can.  What else could happen other than  having it squirt
> out
> > uncontrollably and getting it sprayed all over everything?  I would
> > definitely do this outside, wearing eye protection.
> >
> > I  have found PB Blaster better than WD-40 for loosening rusty and
> corroded
> > hardware.  But man, does that stuff stink!
> >
> > Don k4kyv

"Who feeds a hungry animal feeds his own soul" - Charles Chaplin